Saturday, July 9, 2011

Another Tissue Cover Tutorial -- I know, right?

My blogging buddy Karen, over at Sewmuch2luv, did a fab-u-lous tutorial for tissue covers.
I've made about a dozen using her technique. Did I mention it was fab?
Well, being the lazy sewista that I am, I wondered if there was a way to make her easy peasy tissue covers with just one piece of fabric instead of four. It took me a couple of tries to get the measurements right, but here is a companion tutorial.
If you want to use co-ordinating fabrics, you will still need to follow her directions.
I made a Disney Princess one ( Karen's way), added a lot of fussy cutting to get the princesses jjjuussstttt right,  and it turned out great.

***Warning*** 
Lots of big pictures


 My Karen style cover and my fabric of choice for this project.

Let the tutorial begin:

 
Cut a strip of fabric 5½  by 14½
(142mm by 365mm..at least I think I read that measurement right...lol  )


Fold in half, right sides together so you have a piece that is 7.5" by 5.5".
Make a ½ seam (13mm) along the short side.


Press seam open.


Turn right sides out.  See that seam? First, center it......


Second, put it face down. It will end up on the inside when we are done! Honest! I promise!


 Mark your center. You could use a pin or chalk or a little crease. Do it on both sides and just the ends.


 See, both ends, with the messy edges are now marked.


 Now, fold the pretty edges toward the middle so it looks like this.


Pin them so the ends are nice and close together.


Sew the raw edges with a ¼" seam allowance (6mm)
Go over the center a time or two because it will get a lot of stress during use.
Finish your raw edges with a zigzag or a serged edge or pinking shears to keep the loose threads at bay.


Turn it right sides out, push out your corners until they are all pretty....
Seeeeeee, the line IS on the inside!!


Ta-daaaaaaaaaa
I am quite sure it took me more time to write about it than to make it!!
In fact, I made three of them and it took less than 15 minutes! Trust me, I am NOT a speedy sewista!
Thanks, Karen, for letting me add to your easy peasy-ness!!

*
***
*

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial. Great job - as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. This is my first time visiting your blog and I love it!You have wonderful information. Have you thought of joining the project parties out there in blog land? Everyone will love your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! I'll be making one for myself, and this is a fantastic sewing project for my kids. They'll make great gifts for Grandmas and teachers. Thanks for sharing your skill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE IT, thank you for doing all the hard work of figure out measurements and making tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this tutorial! I just sewed me two of these. I love them! I'll be making more for gifts=)

    ReplyDelete