Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Big Stitch Quilting

Some of my more purist quilter friends might cringe at the thought of using pearl cotton and only having 3-4 stitches per inch, but I don't care! LOL I have always preferred fewer stitches to the inch.....11 pin-dot sized stitches might show off some serious skills, but I just don't care for it in most quilts. Art is so subjective, no?

Hand quilting with pearl cotton is something I've seen in the last few months (maybe even a year) and I fell in love with the look. I finally decided to try it. I am WAY out of quilting practice and it shows, but I really like how it's turning out. I got quite a bit done in only an hour.



I am free handing the design. Not too shabby.
I'm using a 14" hoop, a size 24 chenille needle and some pink size 8 pearl cotton. I tried using my thimble and the traditional rocking motion.....hahahahahahha  I pulled those stitches out right quick. Where is my hand quilting instructor when I need her? Didi McElroy.......find me...pleaseeee

If I work on this for an hour every night, I could be done with the quilting in less than two weeks. 
It will feel so great to have a finished project under my belt and I hope it motivates me to finish more projects!!

Have you tried anything new lately?

3 comments:

  1. So cute! I've never used a hoop.....maybe I should :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! It's going to be fab! I guess I need to jump on the hand quilting band wagon too now.

    ReplyDelete