Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Let's get LOOPy!!

Day 2 of the What's for Dinner Solution challenge.
What is a LOOP meal?
Left
Overs
On
Purpose.
You make a meal and plan to use the leftovers later in your weekly meal plan.
Mine this week was my 5 bean chili. Last night we had it with cornbread and tonight it will be wet burritos. (one of my faves) You get a slotted spoon and scoop out the beans, place them in a warm, ginormous, flour tortilla, add cheese and other fixins, roll it up then top with the chili sauce and some cheese to make it all pretty. I am drooling thinking about it.

Update: dinner pic!!

My recipe:
  • I can each (approx. 16oz), drained and rinsed:black beans
    white beans
    kidney beans
    cannellini beans
    pinto beans
    petite cut tomatoes(undrained)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 bell peppers, chopped or you can use canned green chilis
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cumin (I use a lot more cuz I really like cumin, so use this as your baseline for flavor)
  • 2 tablespoons chilipowder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, I use mexican oregano...but regular will do
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • a small wedge of lemon
  • (opt)a small can of taquera sauce (very spicy thin salsa, not tomato based)
  • chicken broth ( or veggie broth or beef broth or any combo of the three)
Put a little oil in a dutch oven
add onions, garlic and peppers. saute until soft and mostly cooked
Add everything else.Use only enough broth to make your ''soup'' and thin or thick as you like. I use a lot so I can have ''enchilada sauce" the next day.
Bring to a boil, turn down heat, simmer for 30 minutes.....longer doesn't hurt it a bit.
Serve with grated cheese, cornbread, tortillas, tortilla strips, avocado....whatever makes your tastebuds smile. Yes, you can add meat too.


Let me know, in the comments section, your favorite way to use leftovers. Remember, each comment gets you one step closer to winning your very own book!!


You can also go to kathi's Blog and see her favorite was to use chicken as a LOOP meal.

4 comments:

  1. Totally posting that on my blog - thanks girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.O.O.P..... I Luv it! and we also have been known to go "LOOP-y" at our house! Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loop is a great acronym. It makes leftovers sound glamorous. I'm terrible about using left overs though I did plan to use left over taco chicken for soup this week..

    ReplyDelete