Monday, November 7, 2016

When disaster strikes your quilt

Yep, it happened. A big ol' rip......about 6.5" long. Not a happy camper, to say the least.
I can't really complain, this quilty was a gift from my mom, Christmas circa 1977ish. It's been used daily ever since. 

It isn't the first booboo. I have had to repair some small holes and some of the stitching, but that was easy peasy. Thankfully, this turned out to be an easy fix too. I hope it holds for another 38+ years.

booboo


Found some brown. Not perfect, but I didn't want to haul my baby off to Joanns to hunt down a tiny piece of brown.

First I trimmed the lose threads


Put the patch underneath. Yes, there will be some quilting that has to be redone. 


Press under the raw edges


Thankfully, there was enough slack in the fabric to hide the patch underneath

Good ol' ladder stitch 

Up one side, down the other, splitting the distance on the return

First part done, now I carefully pick-stitch the patch in place 

D O N E

The front of this 1970s beauty


What do you do when disaster strikes?

3 comments:

  1. "What do you do when disaster striles?"...
    Send it to you to fix!!! lol!
    Great repair job...
    >^..^<

    ReplyDelete